I’m happy to share with you some news about the new release v0.3.0 of the Tideland Go Actor. This new version comes with a handful of exciting updates and improvements that make it easier and more efficient to work with Actors in Go. One important change in this release is the addition of the Repeat() method. This new feature allows developers to run background Actions in intervals, making it easier to handle long-running tasks in the background.
So far I had not missed generics in Go. Much could be solved via interfaces or closures. And with the disgusting syntactic aberrations of other languages when dealing with generics, I was rather afraid that the elegant simplicity of Go could be lost. As of Go 1.18, Google’s language now handles generics after much discussion. I have always appreciated the implicit simplicity with which, for example, types in a statement like
The package Tideland Go Wait reached version 0.2.0 due to a new added feature. It now contains the type Throttle to provide a limited processing of events per second, e.g. for web handlers. The events are simple closures or functions with a given signature. The limit and a burst size for the maximum number of events during one call are defined at throttle creation. Example A throttled wrapper of a http.
There are times when you find a bug in your software. Today it had been in my testing library TIdeland Go Audit. Here the assertion ErrorContains() reacted with a panic in case of a nil error. So I fixed it like I already had done it earlier in ErrorMatch(). Interestingly I found in testing that I didn’t verified it there. So this test is now also changed. Additionally during tests for a different library with high concurrency I, or better go test during the tests, discovered a race condition.
As described a few days ago, I am migrating individual packages of the Tideland libraries to owb repositories. I have already described my motivation for this. In the meantime, two more packages have been migrated to the main level: Tideland Go Actor and Tideland Go Wait. The package Tideland Go Actor pursues the idea to realize concurrency in Go not only via CSP, but also with the Actor Model. It picks up a bit the concept of the Erlang/OTP module gen_server.
A look at the Tideland Go repositories shows that these today are libraries for individual topics with various packages included. One problem with this form of organization is that these packages are difficult to find. At the same time, their individual histories and their versions are tied to those of the entire library. This must be improved. Therefore, the reconstruction of these projects has now begun. So some of the packages from the repositories move to the main level and become independent projects.
While step by step reorganizing the Tideland Go libraries the one for testing your projects reached a new version. I’ve just released the Tideland Go Audit v0.5.0. As it already is a very robust and complete library there are only few changes. The asserts package now provides the additional assertions NotOK() and AnyError(). In case of asserting tests and using Failable like testing.T their provided Logf() and Errorf() will be used for output.
Here it is, a new minor release of the Tideland Go Library. It’s the new v0.2.0 and contains some smaller changes. You can read about it inside the CHANGELOG. But it also contains two bigger blocks. One has been the splitting of the somehow poor designed and organized webbex into the new httpx and web. The other one is the even bigger one, I needed most of the time for it.
It costed some time, but now I’m happy to release v0.1.0 of the Tideland Go Library. Some of you may wonder, because I already had a Go library and once started to break it into individual repositories. But then different discussions happened. The introduction of Go modules. The discussions about mono-repos or multi-repos. Microsoft was buying GitHub with the insight about the dependency of one provider, regardless who it is. So after some thinking I decided to create a mono-repo as module and using an own domain.
On Feb 28th the top level domain .dev has been available for all. So for me as a developer it’s the best possible TLD to get. One day later I reserved two different ones: themue.dev as a replacement for my former personal domain themue.name and tideland.dev as a replacement of all my different Tideland domains into one. The personal domain is now changed, the Tideland domains will follow these days. Then I also have to change the new Go mono repository I’m migrating my packages to.